The world is changing and so are the requirements of the people. People do not require the traditional mobile phones which can be used for text messages and voice messages. The smart phones have become intelligent devices in delivering successful and personalized services to the modern day population. Nokia was considered to be the supreme leader in the mobile phone market. However, they have lost to the rivals such as Apple and Samsung in the fast growing mobile industry. The war to capture the attention of the mobile phone users has become bloody in the recent times. The smart phones are equipped with tons and tons of features and people are obsessed with them. Apple and Samsung have taken a strong foothold in this market segment.
The smart phone devices are just electronic gadgets and the operating system sits at the heart of these devices. It is very important to have the best of operating systems to respond to the user queries in the real time system. These devices are capable of multi-tasking, recording digital quality video, play music, browse files etc. So, where do they derive their capability to execute all these actions at the same time? It is this capability and ability that pulls the crowd towards these devices.
Almost all of these operating systems support multi-tasking activities, rich media support, sensitive touch control devices, browsing, advanced messaging, 3G support etc. Despite the presence of several operating systems, iOS and Google’s Android have clearly emerged as the winners.Comparison of iOS and Android: (The difference between two explained)
• Multi tasking is one of the commonly offered services. iOS offers multi tasking along with push notification services which makes it highly competitive in the market. However, Android loses out its supremacy by offering multi-tasking services alone in its 2.2 version.
• Bluetooth and USB functionalities are commonly present in both the operating systems. However, iphone has to be jail broken in order to use the complete wi-fi features. It becomes a bottleneck to use the iOS systems. Android 2.2 allows seamless integration of these functionalities and provides the best support for the users.
• Both the devices are user friendly and are stuffed with features. They allow basic operations such as copy, paste, finger friendly functions etc.
• iPhone OS 4.0 supports onscreen virtual keyboard only whereas Android 2.2 supports both onscreen virtual keyboard along with the presence of physical keyboard. This makes it very easy for the mobile phone who wants to type long text messages.
• Music is one application that every manufacturer tries to offer the best of services. Apple allows the users to download music from itunes. This becomes a restriction and there is no other go to upload their favorite music to the mobile devices. However, Android supports installation of third party applications that will allow the users to load their favorite music and Android wins the battle at this juncture.
• iPhone’s iOS does not allow for the usage of maps for free navigation whereas Android supports Google’s map functionalities.
• Gaming is one area where iOS clearly takes the lead. Apple has won the brave heart moment in this battle against Android. Apple has got tons and tons of high quality games and Android developers were not able to compete in this sector. iOS supports developing high precision and high accuracy games.
• iOS allows social networking for the gamers. However, Android does not support this functionality and it becomes a bottle neck for the developers.
• The option of creating folders is available in both the operating systems. Books can be downloaded from itunes in case of iOS and there are third party applications available which will allow the download of books in case of Android.
• Apple’s iOS is very restrictive in nature. It does not allow the usage of third party applications and does not support any of the open source applications. It restricts the users to use Apple’s native applications and products which would envelop and corner them. However, Android supports multiple functionalities from all possible directions. It is like an open book and the mobile users will have their liberty in choosing the applications they want to use.
• Wi-Fi sync with personal systems is not allowed in case of iOS operating system. Android becomes powerful in these features and allows the synchronization process.
• There are loads of quick office productivity tools available for both the operating systems and there is not much difference in their working.
• iOS 4.0 does not support any flash related activities and Android has an advantage in this segment. They support flash in their devices through installation of third party applications.
• The home screen cannot be customized or personalized with the restrictions available in iOS. However, android allows any sort of customization in defining the home screen of the mobile device. The OTA updates are not allowed in iOS but are allowed in Android.
• The proprietary cloud service is often expensive in terms of iOS whereas Android offers it for free of cost.
• The number of applications available for iOS is relatively greater than the Android applications. However, the Android developers are catching up fast with several number of applications that can enhance the features of Android supported smart devices.
It is clearly a battle between Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android operating system. Google has got loads of plans to develop their own version of Android operating system to be implemented in the mobile devices. This will further add spark to the industry and every rival will now pull up their socks to catch up with others. The development scenario is all about understanding the changing requirements of the mobile users and allowing them to integrate with applications at free of cost. A rich user experience should be guaranteed in order to pull their attraction. Time alone can provide the answers to the battle that is currently taking place in the smart phone markets.Author Bio:
Rajkumar is an expert writer when it comes to Promotional Products
and Promotional items
as he has done an extensive research about the same. He has got tons of experience in implementing such projects in various premises.
*** Please do not forget to leave your comments about this article ***