Definition of FTP : FTP
is the acronym for File Transfer Protocol
. It is simply a protocol
used to transfer files across the web. A protocol is a set of rules to do a particular action. Hence, it can be concluded that an FTP
is a technology that is used to transfer files (webpages, photos, etc) across the Internet.Function of FTP :
The main function of FTP
is to transfer files across the web from one computer to another computer that are located in geographically separated areas. For example, if a web-master wants his website (with a number of webpages) to be stores in a remote server so that the website can be visited by people all over the world, he uses the FTP
to transfer his pages' HTML codes from his computer to the server.
Don't worry if you have not yet got a clear idea about it. You will get a clear grasp of it after reading the remaining part of the articles.What is an FTP client?
An FTP client is just an interface that anyone can use in order to manage his files that are present in a remote computer (say a server computer). You can send files, download files, upload files from your computer to the remote server. For this you will just need to download an FTP client, install it in your system and then start working on it. As its name states, it can be used by the normal Internet users (clients) like you and me.How does an FTP client work?
The function of an FTP client is simple. The following are some of the basic concepts of how an FTP client works :
How to get a space allocated in the server computer?
- Creating an account (in simple words) on the server computer (to be more clear, you need a space allocated in the server computer)
- Establishment of connection between the client (your computer) and the server (computer)
If you wish to have a space allocated in the server for free
, then there are hundreds of free web hosting services available on the Internet. One of the best example of it is www.zymic.com
. Create an account in that website and then a free web-hosting account in it. That's it! You are ready to go then.How to Establish a connection between the client and the server?
To make a connection between the two computers, you can either use the free web-hosting's service or you can download an FTP client in order to have an even more powerful command over the FTP
connection. The rest of the article is about downloading and using an FTP client.Which is the best FTP client?
The best FTP client now available is most probably the FileZilla
FTP client. The following things make FileZilla the best FTP client :
How to use FileZilla?
- It is an open source software available to be downloaded from FileZilla FTP client free download . It means no cost.
- It has a friendly and easy to use GUI so that anyone can use it easily.
- Since it is popular, any query or problems with it can be cleared in hours as there are a lot of people ready to help you to come out of your trouble.
- It is available for almost any OS including Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc.
To establish a connection between the client and server computer, just follow the below given steps:
- Open FileZilla.
- Enter the Host name. The host name will be the address of the server or the URL of the website to which you wish to add the web pages and the images.
- Type in the user name. In free webhosting service, this is the user name of your webhosting account.
- Type in the password. In free webhosting service, this is the password of your webhosting account.
- Enter th port number. This number will be provided by the free hosting service.
- Press Quick Connect. This will connect your computer to the server computer.
To upload or download files, it is a much easier way. In Windows
, just dragging and dropping of the files in and out correspond to uploading and downloading of the files.
, to upload any file, just drag and drop the file into the file box in FileZilla. To download a file from the server computer to your computer, right-click on the file and click download.
This is all that you need to learn about using a FTP
client. Thanks for reading. Will be back with few other helpful articles.
Thanks for reading it! Also read What is FTP and how to use FTP client
*** Please do not forget to leave your comments about this article ***