Have you ever wondered how to use your command prompt instead of using mouse to do various functions and actions? Well this is an article for beginners to learn how to use command prompt. (This article is for beginners and includes only basic commands).
The commands given below is similar in almost all windows version and in LINUX OS too.What is Command prompt?
It is the basic method to communicate to the Operating (Computer) system directly. It can be almost used to do any function required, in a computer. However, for easy usage mouse (GUI) is used now. But, I believe using Command prompt is the most powerful way to do some complex functions.
In all windows version it is called "Command Prompt" and in LINUX versions, it is called "Terminal".How to open Command Prompt?
1. Go to start menu and then to run.
2. Type cmd
and your command prompt shell will open.Commonly used commands:
You will be able to access only the drive in which you have your OS installed. It is mostly C: drive.
1. To enter into a folder,Input:
c:\> cd documents and settingsOutput:
c:\documents and settings>
Now you will be inside the folder named "documents and settings".
2. If you want to come out of the directory,Input:
c:\documents and settings> cd ..Output:
3. If you want to know what are the folders and directories inside the particular directory,
4. If you want to clear the screen,
5. You can also change the color of both your text and your text background.
c:\> color 07
If you want to know more about how to use the colors option, type,
c:\> color help
6. To know about the current version of the operating system, type
This will give you the exact version of the OS that you use currently.
7. However, to know about the overall command outline, type,
The above command will give you an outline of all the available commands. However, I will continue with how to use all those commands in the upcoming articles.
To close your command prompt shell, type
*** Please do not forget to leave your comments about this article ***